Did you know a Search Engine Optimized article with good quality content has more chances of ranking higher in search?
Things like the title, the structure of an article, text formatting, headings, and images are easy to optimize and yet play a key role in rankings.
In this blog, you will learn how you can easily optimize your content – blog posts, articles for Search Engine Ranking, and reach your target audiences and customers.
Keyword Research & the Content
Keywords are the most important element of your website or blog ranking therefore you must choose them for your global content strategy, keeping in mind that you have to use the relevant keywords in your article to drive traffic to your website. You can use Google Trends and Google Keyword Planner tools to check the efficiency of the keywords you used.
You may use other keyword research tools to find what searches are currently trending. For instance, if you want to look for the word shoes then it will show how frequently this word is entered into Google search engine. Find specific keywords for your blog posts.
- Write main findings and keywords in the first two sentences of your content
- Mention your keywords 3-6 times (Remember the purpose of your content is to express the key points of your research, clearly, and concisely)
Title of the Content
The first thing Google and the readers eye will fall for is the Title of the article. Your blog might be the deep perceptive post in the world, but if your title doesn’t excite people to click on your article, no one will ever notice your wonderful post and the perception that is contained within. Suppose I’m looking for a juice bar in New York City, the possible outcomes would be –
- Juice Bar in New York City – Sounds not very interesting. I will just skip it probably and look for next option.
- Best Places to have juice in New York City – Here the keyword “juice bar ‘’ itself is missing so it might not even show up in the SERPs.
- Nourish Your Soul with Fresh Organic Juice Bar in New York City – Sounds pretty much cool and appealing and also contains the keyword. My eyes will surely fall on this at first.
Here’re some tips to make you can keep in mind while writing a title to make it more appealing:
- Make it eye catchy
- Include keywords
- The title should be relevant with the page
- The title should contain approximately 70 to 80 characters.
Remember that the title must speak to the visitors.
Here’s what an ideal title looks like:
Meta Description Tag
It is the small text found right below the title of your article in the search engine results and it also plays an important role in ranking your website. Meta description has the capability to sum up your article in 160 word limit and contains a call to action. Here are the elements you need to make a good meta description:
- Keep the length of the description up to 120 to 156 characters.
- Use active voice and include a call to action.
- Use correct keyword and keep it relevant to the content.
Let’s see how a perfect Meta Description tag looks like –
URL and Header tags
The URL of the website should be optimized so that it provides best description of your page content to the search engine. Hence it should contain correct keywords to help your target audience to reach your content easily.
The tags h1, h2, h3, h4…. class are also very useful to rank your blog. Creating a URL for your website might be a very complex activity especially if you are new to SEO and once you setup your URL structure it becomes quite difficult to change it later on and also affects the rankings. Here’re some rules you can follow while creating a new URL:
- Keep the URL short.
- Do not use excessive numerical values or symbols.
- Include targeting keywords.
Image file names and alt tags
Alt text (alternative text), also known as “alt attributes”, or “alt tags,” are used within an HTML code to describe the appearance and function of an image on a page. It’s necessary to use a proper title to describe your pictures as the images are also affected by SEO rules. Here’re few things you can do to write a good alt text –
- Describe the image as precisely as possible.
- Try to keep it short.
- Use keywords but don’t over stuff it.
- Avoid using images as text.
Examples of Heading Structure:
Internal links go from one page on a domain to a different page on the same domain. They allow users to navigate a website and help establish information hierarchy for the given website.
You need to make sure that all of your pages related to each other. There should be at least one link referring to it. Don’t over link because the more pages you will be referring to, the less authority they will get. Therefore link only the important pages.
Elements like content uniqueness, blog-post title, URL structure, introduction, body text, internal linking, readability, and images are very important in Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
The most essential part is that you are writing for your audience and potential customers. By following these key elements, you will be on your way to ranking your content on search Engine in no time.
If you find any important points for on-page SEO that I missed out, let me know in comments below.